Thursday, January 30, 2014

Hooch!

We make a lacto-fermented probiotic drink called Hindu Lemonade (fondly dubbed, "Hooch" by my niece, Leddy!) to mix with our continuous brew kombucha. The two combined give us a broader range of beneficial bacteria. The "hooch" also smoothes out the more vinegary taste of the kombucha, although our kombucha is pretty smooth tasting already. The Hindu Lemonade is generally made with lemons and limes, but can be made with other fruits or flavors.

We have a tradition in our family that was handed down from my mom, fondly known as Gramma D., and it is a tradition that I have always found meaningful for some reason. Instead of the normal oranges that some put in Christmas stockings we always got tangerines instead. Mom always told me it was because tangerines, at least when we were growing up, we're easier to come by and cheaper than expensive Florida oranges. I liked the idea not only because it reminds me of my childhood, but also because tangerines seem more rustic and homey to me...kind of the smaller, ugly duckling of the citrus realm...something I always felt in my own growing up realm as well. Also, I have somewhat of an allergy to oranges...not serious, my body just does not do well on them. Surprisingly though, I can tolerate tangerines to a point, where I can't oranges.

This past Christmas we needed a batch of hooch and all I had was one lemon, a few limes and a handful of tangerines floating around the house, so I tried making hooch using the tangerines. Well, we loved it! Now we plan to use them regularly. Here's the recipe, quick and easy, if anyone is I terested in trying this super simple probiotic beverage. Milder that kombucha it makes a good transitional phase to get more probiotics into kids.

For a 2 quart jar (we do 2-3 jars at once) juice a lemon or two, 3 or 4 limes, and 3 or 4 tangerines. Mix juice with 1/3 cup of natural cane sugar or Sucanat, 1/2 whey and 1/2 tsp. of nutmeg. Fill the jar
the rest of the way with fresh water. Set on the counter or table with the lid on loosely (to allow gases to escape) for 3 days, then refrigerate. You can begin to drink it immediately but it deepens and
improves in flavor as it sits longer so don't afraid to make several jars at once. After about a month it 
is heavenly!

No comments:

Post a Comment