Thursday, January 17, 2013

Le Creuset Soup Pot


I was looking closely at my enamel coated cast iron pots the other day and thought I would do a short review on them.

First of all, I am a cook. It's sad when you live in a day and age where that is often seen as an indulgence, and that women who are in their homes preparing real food for their families are just killing time and could be doing something more useful. But if you are another one of those people like me, dedicated to having better health through nutrition for your family, you will understand where I'm coming from. Food is not just something that you buy the cheapest, most adulterated thing out there and then expect you bodies not to get sick on it. Food can bring health, or steal it from you, and it's important in this time period to know what you are putting in your body.

I have two pots.  One is a Le Creuset 7-1/2 quart Bouillabaisse Pot in Flame. It lists for $385 but can be had on Amazon for $299. I paid $185 for mine on a great deal I found online. The second is a Lodge 6 quart dutch oven in Pumpkin. It lists for $118 and I bought mine on Amazon for, I think $60. It is on there now for $77.79. (both my Christmas gift for that particular year)







Before I continue I need to be very clear; I love both these pots! I'm not in any way suggesting that I am disappointed in my Lodge pot. It is a great cooking piece that I would not want to be without. I'm simply pointing out that there is indeed a reason you pay more for Le Creuset. And I believe that that difference lies primarily in the enamel coating and the firing process they use. Pictured below are the insides of both pots. As you can see the Lodge is darkening and wearing from a lot of use, where the Le Creuset hardly looks used. Add to that the fact that the Lodge pot is a year old, and the Le Creuset pot is 15 years old!








So, I guess that's my only point here. If you need affordable enameled cast iron pots I highly reccommend Lodge ware. But if you ever get the opportunity to buy Le Creuset on a good deal, take it! You will not regret it.

(And for all of you out there who have wondered how the heck you pronounce this word correctly, here you go:   "Le Creuset" - (Luh Cruhzay) - the "eu" sounds like the "u" in full, rather than "crew". It would be "crew" if it were "cruset".)

(Just for the record; I have no earthly clue why blogger is highlighting some of the lines.)

1 comment:

  1. I agree 100%. Often, when it comes to cookware, you really do get what you pay for and Le Creuset is indeed awesome. We love our French oven and also our little frying pan that we've had for years.

    ReplyDelete