Thursday, June 21, 2012

garden news...


It's 90 something, with a fairly high humidity factor, the UV index is listed as very high, it's 10:00, I have showered and dressed in super cool clothes, and I am done with out door work for the day! I am using the rest of the day for an endless list of computer tasks that I need to attend to. My lovely new cool green office has a very nice ceiling fan, I am enjoying a final cup of coffee, and am quite happily employed at these tasks.
I did want to share a bit about our garden before I get at my other work. I spent the morning mulching the plants and staking all the tomatoes. The above shows a lovely cabbage plant.
I am trying a number of new varieties this year, along with many trusted ones that I have grown before.  
For beans I am trying two new-to-me pole beans. One is called Lazy Wife, which Hunter finds endlessly hilarious. It's called that because the beans grow in clusters which can be easily grasp in your hand, making them easier to pick quickly. The pods are broad, thick, and entirely stringless. They are supposed to have an "exceedingly rich and buttery flavor", are hardy, easily grown, and very productive.
The other is Black Valentine, an early producer of long, tender pods, as well as beans. I plan to harvest some of the pods, but leave a lot for the glossy black beans later in the season.
I am a total nut for tiny pickles. I am trying this French variety this year; De Bourbonne. And of course I will be pickling these with a lacto-fermentation process. Can't wait!
Lazy Wife
De Bourbonne
Black Valentine
For a pumpkin I chose a small pie pumpkin called Winter Luxury, very sweet with a manageable size for our small family. Supposed to be very good, with great tasting seeds as well.
When I was young I was always fascinated with the huge green Hubbard squash that most of our family grew in their gardens. I adored the taste but thought they were the biggest, most intimidating things I had ever seen! And the skin was as hard as nails! I was always afraid I was going to lose several fingers trying to cut the thing up. But I miss that wonderful old-fashioned squash taste too. This year I am growing the Golden Hubbard. It is in the same family, with the same flavor and texture, but much smaller in size. It is still about a 12 pound fruit though. I do not personally like yellow fleshed squash. It never seems to taste good to me no matter how it is cooked, and I don't often like the texture. It seems to be slightly stringy to me...or something...not sure, but I much prefer orange fleshed winter squash.
Winter Luxury
Golden Hubbard
The other squash we are growing is Long Island Cheese, also known as the "Cinderella Pumpkin". Also with orange flesh it is a flattened variety and very beautiful.

Long Island Cheese

2 comments: